Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Kneed This


About a year ago I was accepted onto the urgent waiting list for a half-knee joint replacement. Last August I did the "pre-op" session at the Hospital, in expectation of an early admission.

A day or so ago I was phoned to ask if I could take up a cancelled spot on Friday. We were packed to leave for Auckland and Hamilton - where we were to direct our Murder Mystery Dinner - so I felt I had to decline.

On second thoughts I asked for half an hour to see if I could find someone to present the show with Bev. No such luck. But a call to the church office revealed that the ticket sales were poor and they were just about to suggest to me that we cancel.
It didn't take long to coordinate those cancellations and tomorrow I go down to do all the pre-op checks again. All being well, I'll be back in Whangarei for the "Right Knee Uncompartment" at 7am on Friday. (H'm, yes, must remember to mark the left one: "NOT THIS ONE!")

Bev will go on to our Auckland appointment and present our video of her reminiscences of her 1980s years with Home and Family Counselling and then, I am hoping, hurry back to wipe my feverish brow. As if we aren't enormously fortunate to get my surgery at public expense, we've just heard that Bev won the draw for her reminiscences and gets a free ticket to the celebrations.

1 comment:

  1. Modern medical science and practice is wonderful and offers a degree of peace and tranquility that our grandparents would never have thought possible.My grandson literally smashed his knee joint a year ago and has had it rebuilt, he is not 100% recovered but fit to resume his career.
    Our grandparents would be amazed at what can now be done to recondition us. I am reminded by a friend who has refused to accept any joint replacement therapy. Sadly it is his loving wife who bears the brunt of keeping their country home going. Thank GOD for loving wives

    ReplyDelete