Saturday, March 14, 2009

Watch how you go!


It’s 8am at Omarama, misty but with promise of another absolutely stunning day like we saw at Lake Tekapo yesterday. We’ve had two lengthy "Wow!" days on the road and are looking forward to a shorter trip today. But, enjoying the drive in a heavily-loaded smallish rental car, we’ve been passed by a few fairly brisk drivers along the way. They’re a bit wild through the middle of the South Island, it seems.
Thirty years ago I proposed on public radio that there should be driver “wardens” who could report traffic misbehaviours. Nobody took it up at that time but these days any driver can “dob in” another driver on an official form and the Police will follow it up, usually writing to the alleged offender. I’ve submitted two or three such reports myself.
But not on this trip. I’ve been a bit subdued since driving onto a two-lane roundabout in front of a car in the outside lane who appeared to be leaving it instead of coming round in front of me. He could legitimately have dobbed me in. Perhaps he did.
So now I would like a lot more publicity to be given to the suggestion made some time ago that we have a clear hand signal that apologises, “Oops, I’m really sorry I did that.” I think the suggestion at the time was a spread-out hand raised up. Something like that could just ease a little tension that might otherwise have been caused by a minor act of thoughtlessness.However, until it is widely recognised, that particular signal might also be interpreted as “Five fingers to you, mate!”

No comments:

Post a Comment