Thursday, August 15, 2013

"Let's go to a show"

The Poulner Players are advertising “Anastasia” all round town. Having seen a review back home in NZ we figured we should support the local group. So I showed up at the local Fabric Store who were advertised as the booking agents on all the posters and were open from 9am.
“Oh, sorry, the man hasn’t shown up with the bag”.
“Shall I phone up later, then?”
“Yes, the number is on the poster.”
“But is that your number or the number of the Man with the Bag?”
“Oh, that’s his number.”
“But can he take a booking after he’s brought the bag here?”
“No, he can‘t. I do the bookings here.”
“Well, then, shouldn’t you give me your phone number?“
“Yes, but you could just show up at the door and you’ll be sure to get a seat.”

So, after getting the number anyway, where would we find the Poulner Church Hall? He didn’t know that, not even when I prompted him with the name of the only Poulner church on Google Maps. Parking, the all-important question in this country? I didn’t dare raise the question.

As I went out the door with nothing much accomplished, I suggested to him that Poulner Players had all the elements of a good mystery drama themselves. Tantalising clues about the event itself, but total secrecy as to how to obtain a ticket or find the place. There must be some learning here for small churches…

No comments:

Post a Comment