Monday, August 22, 2011

Thinking Ahead




Bev and I have been using the Thinking Ahead workbook.
We were prompted by the excellent article "Going Gentle into that Good Night" in the LISTENER a few weeks ago. That put us in touch with the publishers of Thinking Ahead.
We found it really stimulating and helpful.

So far, we have completed a three page statement about questions that may come up after I have gone. With my history of prostate cancer we think that perhaps I am a bit more temporary than Bev. But who knows? So we will do a statement for her, too. And these statements will be handed to family members and professional carers and anyone else involved or interested in our end of life issues.
Over the years I have seen many bereaved families arguing about "What X would have wanted" when they were arranging X's funeral. My view is that the funeral is for the mourners, not the person who has died. So I like the fact that Thinking Ahead does not produce a binding, legal document that must be obeyed. But I found it very helpful to think on issues such as :-
  • Do I want life support just for the sake of extending life?
  • In my last days would I prefer to be at home or in professional care?
  • Do I have issues of faith and spirituality which I would like taken into account?
  • What would I prefer to happen to my body?
  • Who do I want to be my end-of-life advocate, to speak for me after I have gone?
    Of couse, we have given each other Enduring Power of Attorney over the legal matters of health and welfare and property. But these will operate only while we are alive. Thinking Ahead went further and prompted us on a range of more personal issues. And it helped us have good conversations on what will be life and death issues for us both.

    We recommend it warmly, if only for that reason.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment