Monday, December 14, 2009

Carpe diem!


While seeing out a short couple of years with prostate cancer, Brian Malcouronne published a comprehensive book of funeral resources. Based on his own wide experience and his eclectic knowledge of others’ material, "Honouring our Loved Ones" was of great value to many people, especially the growing number of lay celebrants.
However, it went out of print a few years after he died. Bev and I visited Liz recently and found that the book was Brian’s own project and the family haven’t been able to put it back into print. So, after years of saying “No – just buy
my book on how to do it yourself” I have started on another book. The ISBN numbers suggest it will be about the 115th I have done in my publishing hobby.
There’s a coincidence, of course. I, too, have prostate cancer. And, like Brian as he was putting together this great little book in 1993, I’m conscious that some things I get to do these days will be for the last time. Currently, under the onslaught of both Zoladex and Casodex, my PSA has remained unmeasurable for another three months. But there’s a ticking timebomb somewhere inside me.
Meanwhile, I have another really worthwhile publishing challenge. And, on an impulse and cheap air fares, Bev and I are flying off to Christchurch to drive another rental camper up to Auckland. The relocation rates are terrific and we’ll get to make Christmas visits to family in Christchurch, Wellington, Taupo and Auckland and be home before Christmas.
Carpe diem!

1 comment:

  1. Having prostate cancer certainly is not a bunch of fluffy ducks. The drugs you are taking have given you a quality of life, so that you and Bev can do some very important things, and do it together. Many people our age are living out an existence, their body is fit for their age but their mental ability has gone walkabout. My Mother lived to get an official letter from the Queen, she at that stage, would not have had the slightest recognition of it's significance. If I was to get like that, please either shoot me or give me a lethal injection. I would hate to think that I had become a burden to anyone. Keep writing Dave you still have a lot to offer.
    Ralph.

    ReplyDelete